~ HOME ~ It all started with SD State Library 2.0 Challenge

Monday, August 31, 2009

Missouri News

Since I lived there for most of my life, I found this article rather interesting.





  • The Missouri model uses small, therapeutic groups to treat juvenile offenders

  • Juvenile residences don't have barbed wire or require uniforms

  • A handful of other states are trying to replicate the Missouri model

  • Studies show only ten percent of Missouri's youth re-offend

"While in one of Missouri's juvenile facilities, Barkley became editor of its student newspaper, captain of the football team and made the honor roll.
'I wanted something different for myself or I'd end up in Kansas City doing nothing. I knew I could do something,' said Barkley, who is the first in his family to go to college.
Now he's a sophomore studying criminal justice at the University of Central Missouri."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers, Fans, and Fellow Information Seekers