~ HOME ~ It all started with SD State Library 2.0 Challenge

Monday, January 26, 2009

Ruth Bell Graham's Poetry

The Man I Prayed For

Dear God, I prayed, all unafraid

(as we’re inclined to do),

I do not need a handsome man

but let him be like You;

I do not need one big and strong

nor yet so very tall,

nor need he be some genius,

or wealthy, Lord, at all;

but let his head be high, dear God,

and let his eye be clear,

his shoulders straight, whate’er his state,

whate’er his earthly sphere;

and let his face have character,

a ruggedness of soul,

and let his whole life show, dear God,

a singleness of goal;

then when he comes

(as he will come)

with quiet eyes aglow,

I’ll understand that he’s the man

I prayed for long ago.


.



In Her Own Words


They say

I must not care so much,

or feel so deeply.

I shouldn't study

or read depressing books

like Under the Rubble,

or China Today.

Rather, I should play, read Agatha Christie,

and relax.

Which would mean

bottling up my deepest concerns,

turning off my mind,

and growing bored.

But heart and mind have

no faucets--"Hot" and "cold,"

no switch for

"on" and "off."

Cannot one live

with concern,

read deeply,

and still relax?

Concern, undergirded

with confidence,

knowing that God

is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers, Fans, and Fellow Information Seekers